2021 World Council
Smart cities and territories, pillars of the common agenda
Smart cities and territories, pillars of the common agenda.
The World Council will bring together over 500 mayors and councilors who will be shaping the work plan and strategic priorities of the organization.
In order to build on the momentum and strengthen our alliance with strategic international partners, this World Council proposes an extended program with strong links with other major international events, such as the celebration of Urban October, the Glasgow COP 26 and the Metropolis Congress.
The statutory component of the World Council will be organized in the framework of the Smart City Expo World Congress in Barcelona:
- The Executive Bureau will take place on 16 November.
- The World Council will take place on 17 November.
- The Financial Management Committee and Committee on Statutory Affairs will be convened respectively on 15 and 16 November.
Several policy debates will also be organized in conjunction with the Smart City Expo World Congress, namely:
- A policy debate on Smart cities and territories, pillars of the Common Agenda - 17 November
- A session with the UCLG UBUNTU Advisors on A Pact for the future: renewing the social contract for the great reset - 18 November
As agreed by our last Executive Bureau, the first meeting of the World Forum of Regions is convened to bring together regional governments from all continents, along with local and national governments, academia, civil society, experts and international partners, to jointly create an ecosystem of cities and territories and to rethink how to work together and coordinate international efforts to build a dignified, resilient and sustainable future for people and the planet. The following sessions are proposed in this framework:
- Opening session and innovation panels - 16 November
- Roadmap: strengthening the voice of regions - 17 November
- High-level political dialogues and joint declaration - 18 November
The UCLG Policy Councils will gather virtually in the weeks before the World Council. Building on the momentum gained by Urban October, which was developed to raise awareness, promote participation, generate knowledge and engage the international community towards the New Urban Agenda, three Policy Councils are convened:
- Right to the city and inclusive territories – 25 October
- Opportunities for all, culture and city diplomacy – 26 October
- Territorial multilevel governance – 27 October
In the framework of Metropolis Congress, which will take place on 8-13 November, a joint session will be co-organized under the leadership of the Policy Council on:
- Implementation of the New Urban Agenda - 9 November
Finally, in the context of the Local and Regional Governments Day that our constituency is planning during COP 26, our last Policy Council will meet:
- Safer, resilient and sustainable cities - 11 November
This World Council will be held in a hybrid format. Considering the health situation, all the sessions will be held in a mainly online format, with a limited in-person component, focusing on the Presidency, Vice-Presidency and Chairs of Policy Councils and other consultation mechanisms.
Through this UCLGMeets platform, you will be able to easily access documents, and all the information you need for our gatherings. Once again, it will be the one-stop space during the week of the World Council.
It includes an interactive program with all the resources, links and materials that will be useful to follow the debates:
The following element is a map which presents the items on this page as map points. The element can be used with a screen reader but it may be hard to understand.Skip map